To make the most of your Guide to Auckland experience, you will need to create an account.
That way, you’ll be able to write reviews, share comments, and design Insider Guides.
You can create an account on Guide to Auckland by selecting the 'Start your Guide Now' button, which can be found in the top right hand corner of your screen. Just fill in the simple form and you're done!
If you need more help, watch this quick video which explains how to create an account in more detail:
How do I search for businesses on Yellow® Guide to Auckland?
You can search on Guide to Auckland by using the intuitive search drop down boxes at the top of your screen. These will allow you to search by category, key word or location - or a combination of all three. Alternatively we will present quick links to the most popular sections on the site - for example: Best Cafes.
If you need more help, watch this quick video which explains how to search on Guide to Auckland in more detail:
How do I write a review?
Share your opinion through a 5 star rating system and write it how you see it! Maybe you had a great steak at your local restaurant, or the service at a West Auckland bar was sensational. You name it we want to hear it, so share your experiences via Guide to Auckland…the good, the bad, and the ugly!
First of all - you must register to become part of Guide to Auckland.
If you have already registered, simply log in (use the blue box at the top right hand corner of your screen) and then search on the service or business you wish to review by using the intuitive search boxes at the top of your screen. When you have found the right business, just select the ‘Rate this’ star button, from within the pink panel below the business description.
You will be taken to the next page where you will be able to give the business a star rating out of 5 and then you can write your review. All you need to do is submit your review and within 48 hours, your review is live on Guide to Auckland, and ready to be viewed.
Helpful tips for writing a review
For more detail on how to create a Review, please see this helpful video:
- Be creative – your review could be interesting, humorous, or straight to the point.
- Let people know the unique and quirky things about the business you are reviewing, as that will give your review a great attention-grabbing perspective.
- Explain yourself – sure, you might just like to advise that the venue was ‘good’ but other people might like to hear why it was so good, so explain yourself in more detail – if you want to of course.
What is meant by My Guide?
The 'My Guide' section is your membership page on Guide to Auckland. It's where you can keep track of all the reviews you have written, where you create your own Insider Guides and change your account settings. You can also list your own public Event here.
You can access your My Guide any time you are logged in, by clicking on the 'Go to your Guide' 'button in the same area where you first registered.
What is an Insider Guide?
An Insiders Guide encourages you to make Yellow® Guide to Auckland your own by allowing you to group your favourite listings, provide comments, and share opinions which you think the rest of Auckland might like to know. It’s your slice of Auckland if you like, a local perspective with fresh, new and unexpected ideas for going out from your favourite restaurants and bars, to the best services and attractions.
How do I write an Insider Guide?
Simply click on the 'Go to your Guide' 'button in the same area where you first registered.
When you are in your My Guide page, click on the ‘Insider Guides’ tab.
From here select the blue ‘Create an Insider Guide’ button.
Now you can create your Insider Guide! Name your Insider Guide whatever you like (for example: Bobs Best Bars), and write about your Insider Guide in the box provided (for example: 'I have searched high and low for the best bars in Auckland and here are my findings'). Be sure to save your Insider Guide when you’re finished.
For more information on how to create an Insider Guide, view this helpful video!
What is an Insider Guide Listing?
You will be asked to ‘add listings’ to your Insider Guide.
A listing is the business or service which you want to add to your Insider Guide.
For example, your Insider Guide might be entitled ‘Best bars in Ponsonby’. To this you would add the particular bars you are referring to, so that other members can check out your recommendations.
Type in the name of the business or service and click on search.
Once you have found the correct listing, click ‘add to Insider Guide’ and select enter.
Repeat this process until you have added all of the listings you want, then select done.
5 tips for creating an Insider’s Guide
- You can chose to keep your Insider Guide private for just you if you like, but we’d like to think your opinion matters, so be sure to tick the ‘Make it Public’ box when creating your Insider Guide, which will ensure you share your Insider Guide with the rest of Auckland!
- Create a theme – It’s your Insider Guide so you can create it however you like. You might like to create a theme for your Insider Guide such as ‘Top 5 bars of all time’ or ‘Best ways to spend $100’.
- Be positive - The whole point of an Insider Guide is to share experiences with the rest of Auckland, so keep your Insider Guide full of useful tips and insights which other people become excited about.
- Don’t hold back! If you wish to create an Insider Guide which contains a blend of drinking, shopping and eating - then go for it! But remember to attach the businesses you mention in your Insider Guide as this helps other members check out the places you mention easier.
- When writing the description of your Insider Guide be sure to keep the thought of other readers in mind so to make sure your reviews are easy to follow in other people’s eyes.
- HINT - You can add a business to your Insider Guide at any time once your Insider Guide is created. For example: if you have written a great review about a restaurant and want to add it to your Insider Guide, just click the 'Add this' button which sits with the particular listing. A small box will appear so that you can choose your Insider Guide to attach it to!
I’m having trouble finding the business or service I want to add to my Insider Guide
Try narrowing your search down so it's very specific – for example if you are searching for ‘Lime Bar, Ponsonby Road’, try just searching for the word ‘Lime’ instead. This will bring up a complete list of businesses, so you can find what you are searching for easily.
How long before my review or Insider Guide goes live?
Please allow for 48 hours as the review or Insider Guide has to go through a moderation process which is carried out by Guide to Auckland staff. Once it has been approved it will automatically appear within the site.
All businesses will have a map available if a correct and valid address has been provided. If there is no address then the listing simply cannot be mapped at this stage.
Simply contact us by clicking here with the relevant listing information you want to update or contact your local Yellow® Sales rep.